As a content writer, I have received these requests from people I know, multiple times:
• Can you give me good Instagram captions?
• Can you help me edit my college essay?
• Can you rewrite my LinkedIn profile?
• I am applying for a job, could you help me out with the writing assignment?
• My brother wants to learn freelancing, can you give him a free consultation?
• I’m building a personal website, can you write the content?
I love it when the people I know approach me for help with content.
I’m glad they think of me.
But, at the end of the day, content writing is a service I offer and I will charge for it.
The best way to deal with requests from your friends?
1. Clarify that you will be charging them
2. Offer a “Friends & Family discount”
3. Set clear terms & conditions, to avoid being stuck in the “it’s for a friend” loop.
How do you charge your friends & colleagues for your services?
P.S. Be true to your work, your word, and your friend.
~ Henry David Thoreau