11 ways to handle (offensive) criticism:
1. Develop a thick skin; most criticisms don’t need your response.
2. Avoid psychoanalysing the person criticising you [“Oh they must be going through something really bad”]
3. Stop giving attention to criticism and focus solely on yourself and your goals.
4. Understand the nuances of criticism: feedback, critique, unsolicited criticism, sarcasm, abuses and insults. Ignore most of them.
5. Periodically cleanse your social media accounts of people that drain your energy.
6. Work on yourself. If 99% of comments are positive and only 1% of negative comments agitate you, then you need to work on yourself.
7. Have the ability to laugh at past criticism. It gives us the courage to handle new criticism that may come our way.
8. Make allowances for your own and other person’s communication & contextual gaps.
9. Profit from criticism. Let the criticism fire you up to excel!
10. Accept that criticism is the digital exhaust of your social media engine.
11. Avoid making enemies out of strangers.
How do you handle criticism?
P.S. Learn to use the criticism as fuel and you will never run out of energy.
~ Orrin Woodward